Thursday, February 3

My bebes go to school!


When I first fell pregnant with my twins almost six years ago I named my 'baby' - 'bebe' until of course we discovered there were two 'bebes'.  This feels like seriously a few years ago at most and today, I took them off to school - my smallest, littlest bundles of gorgeousness.

To parent twins and in particular 3 children with an 18 month age gap has been a challenge to say the least but I have loved it.  When they were indeed 'bebes' I used to fantasize about them all being in school, having time to myself and not having to wrangle 24x7 but I must say the reality so far has not hit me.

I want to go back!

I'm sure this is temporary and in the few days it will be an adjustment.  Ok, on with the photos!

It was a restless night - both with Cyclone Yasi and my parents, sister and her family all in Cairns, the heat and my bebes being very anxious, it was after ten they fmally settled into a slumber and for me in the early morn. My Mum called at 6:15am waking us reporting the cyclone had passed and they were all safe.  I have never been so relieved to hear her voice in my lifetime!  I cried with relief and then passed on the news to other family members.  Then our day began.  Up, dressed, breakfasted and ready to go!

Here's the production line of lunchboxes and drinks!


On with the hair elastics I made and the badges their school buddies made and we were ready for photos!

Olivia in all her finery...

Laura my little wall-flower (I hope her teacher has invested in some good ear plugs!)

Nanny (my grandmother arrived) and shared the big day with us.  Particularly with my bebes she's been with us through everything (read this when you have time).  My bebes adore Nanny.


And here's Nanny with her 'big girl' Eloise - it's hard to believe this time last year it was SHE who was starting school!

And here's the gorgeous pack!

Then it was time to head off!  First walk to school all three in uniforms *sniff*

And obligatory pose in front of the school sign (think I'm going to do this every year!)

And then it was time to report for first day!  Daddy takes Olivia to her classroom to sign in and find her bag locker....

And I do the same  with Laura (excuse the haggard look - stress and no sleep people!)

The girls then meet up with their Year 6 Buddies - Laura's got changed as her buddy hasn't returned to our school but lucky us because our new buddy the lovely Chloe - her little buddy didn't start this year - some things are meant to be!

And here's our Olivia's lovely buddy Amy - honestly I hope my girls turn out as lovely as she is!

Then it was time to say goodbye - and yes, I cried.  Mostly on the inside but a bit on the outside.

Here they are in their classrooms (sneaky us!)

Olivia:

Laura:
 Looks like Laura's been put straight to work!  She's a messenger this week!

So really - they went off without a hitch!  No real looking back or anything - just like their big sister.  Today I felt like the hen whose chicks had left the nest and hubby was a smart man and kept me occupied by taking me to spotlight. But as we sat down for lunch a mum with her two girls sat beside us and my heart sunk.  He gave me a wink:  'You'll be alright, they were ready'.  He's right - they ARE ready and I will be alright.

Tell me I'll feel better about it tomorrow!!

Print this post in friendly format

16 lovely comments:

Vicki on February 3, 2011 at 5:58 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

awwww so sweet! You know I still remember the buddy I had when I was in Grade 6 and she was in kindy I even found her on facebook and was kinda devistated to find out she didn't remember me... I mean she would have been 5 and it was 25 years ago but still :D

I hope they settle in really well and you get a good nights sleep tonight :) I will call you later need to have a chat about next weekend

Meegan @ The Harvey Circus on February 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Awwwwwwww... Just lovely!
The girls look so grown up in their uniforms, don't they?

And, most importantly, did they enjoy their first day?

xx

Cate on February 3, 2011 at 7:17 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Glad to hear that your family is all OK.

You will grow to appreciate the time they are at school.

I am the same as you 18 months difference - then the "Twins" - they are now in 6th grade and off to high school next year - where has the time gone????

Embrace "your time".

Denyse on February 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Welcome to school with three girls to get ready!
Mind you, those frills of yours look like smart cookies- so dressing, organizing will be a breeze ..?
And by the pics I see the twins were placed in diff classes- your request?

Thank goodness for your family staying safe in Cairns!
As if you didn't have enough to stay awake for- then a nasty girl called Yasi decided to put in an appearance.

So Liss..what now..or should I ask what's next ?

Kristie on February 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Wow! Look how proud they are! They are just bursting!

And clever hubby taking you to spotlight! Mine dropped me off at home to the air con and bad TV, but then called me at lunch time to tell me he was "Starving" and that "I want something to eat!" and "what can I have?" (all things Tara says on a regular basis, just to make me feel better.

I've just done a blog post (or three) about my day :)

Super Sarah on February 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh what an emotional day! I have been thinking so much about all the little ones starting school this week. Amy's birthday is in July so she could have started but for all sorts of reasons we decided to leave her at preschool for another year. Its a strange feeling knowing she could be bravely walking off to a classroom like your two! I am so glad it all went well and you are slowly adjusting!

Diminishing Lucy on February 3, 2011 at 8:34 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Liss, I feel like I lived all that emotion with you.

They are all utterly adorable.

Well done you. You make them that confident and happy and excited about this new stage.

I hope they had a great first day. And that you can now get some sleeeeeep! xxx

greenfumb on February 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Hope they had a happy day and are dying to go back tomorrow.

I remember those days, its very bittersweet. I only have the two girls and the younger one was always joined to my hip. I couldn't imagine how she would function without me - really it was me who wasn't ready.

I did one of my main teaching pracs at TH, it's a great school, almost like a country school but with all the amenities of a city school.

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

hang in there! you will all settle into a new routine soon enough and your girls will love being at school together!!

(just an aside- as a former primary school teacher who has been taught to be very careful about children's privacy in school- did you have permission to put up those classroom pictures? that's the kind of thing that can get you into all kinds of trouble... just thought i'd warn you :)

Jaime on February 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Oh Liss, I got a little teary reading that, and I didn't even cry when I left my own little boy at kindergarten this week.

How can it be we have kids starting school? I remember when you announced the bebes, can we have really known each other that long?

They're gorgeous! all of them.

Liss on February 4, 2011 at 6:30 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

@Denyse

I think if I managed to get as much done as possible the night before and rely on my little billies magnets to assist them to remember what to do etc we'll be fine!

Yes, they're in different classes - they have completely different learning styles I want to give them the opportunity to be their individual selves rather than 'the twins' especially amongst their peers.

I know, that Yasi sure did pick her timing!

This first half of the year I intend on getting the girls settled into school - continue running the school uniform shop, freelance writing, blogging etc. Later part of the year I have plans - a couple of possibilities :)

Helen said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

So lovely--thank you for sharing this special day! xxH

Victoria on February 7, 2011 at 8:51 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Awwh that so sweet & exciting.
Beautiful Photos.
Mine might start school next year & every time I think about it I cry.
Why do they grow up so fast??

Angela on February 7, 2011 at 10:13 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

What a special day..gorgeous pics x

Unknown on February 7, 2011 at 11:11 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Beautiful Photos!
Your girls look gorgeous in there 'Big girl' uniforms.

Becky on February 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Aww. Bless!! They look so grown up.


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015