Friday, February 11

Fast Food on a Friday: Slowcooker chili con carne - for rice, tacos or fajitas - make in bulk!



Welcome to Friday everyone!

It's been our first full week of school with all three girls and I'm ready for the weekend!  I was expecting to have a lot more 'personal time' but so far all I've been doing is  spending a lot of time at school - school uniform shop, canteen and other than that, at home a lot of washing and cleaning up!  Oh and a bit of cooking... not as much as I'd like.  Hubby's also been home with a bad back so I haven't been alone at all!

Enough of my whinging!  Yesterday whilst I was road testing some of the KleenexMums January recipe comp entries, I decided to make myself a 'stash or two.  Make up meals are ones I can make ahead with little fuss and stash for later.  

My Olivia's favourite meal is chilli con carne - and we normally make it on the stove - but hey!  Someone lovely on twitter suggested I make chilli in the slow cooker and I was like 'YES!!!'.  (Thanks Lily!)  So I just adjusted my stovetop recipe and voila!!  It's yummy and I have two stash meals now!

Ingredients:
750g beef mince
1 large onion, grated or finely chopped (I did mine with the food processor!)
2 large carrots, grated or finely chopped
2 zucchinis, grated of finely chopped
800g dicedPublish Post tomatoes
2 tb tomato paste
400g tin red kidney beans, drained
400g tin refried beans
1 tb tobasco sauce
1 tb plain flour
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin


Method:

In your slow cooker add your raw mince, onion, carrot and zucchini

 Add tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato paste and 1 1/2 cups water and tobasco

Mix the flour, cumin, paprika, chili and sugar in a cup/small container, top up with water until you can mix it into a paste and then add to the slow cooker.

Give it a good big mix and turn it up to high...

If you like it sloppy for chilli con carne over rice - cook for 5 hours.

Keep cooking for another hour or two if you like it a bit thicker for tacos or fajitas!

Store in airtight containers in portions (I do two, but you may like more!) and freeze for up to 2 months.

So, all in all - not a 'fast' recipe for it is fast to defrost and reheat and you can just pick up some corn chips on the way home and grate some cheese over the top and serve with diced tomato and shredded lettuce!  That IS fast!

Have a great weekend all - see you Sunday for Sunday baking project! xx
Print this post in friendly format

6 lovely comments:

Jen Walpole on February 11, 2011 at 9:03 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Yum, I love food that I can freeze and then take out when I'm tired or in a rush and prepare quickly! YOu should do a cook book, your recipes are great!

Lisa said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

We are moving this weekend but I think I'll keep my slow cooker out and these ingredients in the esky so it can cook away whilst we unpack - thanks for a great recipe!

Seana Smith on February 11, 2011 at 10:37 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Perfect! You have been reading my mind. I looked tonigh to find a new recipe and there it is on the front page. Don't have a slow cooker but there's a slow cooker option on my steam over so will give that a try.

Now off to find a pud.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on February 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Aww the girls are growing up so quickly and now they're all at school! Wow! Recipe looks delicious :)

Corrie on February 15, 2011 at 10:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

any idea that I had that it would be easier with keira at school was so wrong! I've never been busier and have settled in now with loads of washing and drying from 9.30pm, uniform to iron, bag to pack, lunch to think about! man it's busy

and I decided to offer up my services to be book keeper for the canteen - what a nut job I am! dear me

must get out the slow cooker to save some time and let it do the hard work for me!
Corrie;)

Nic on February 16, 2011 at 10:27 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I made this for dinner tonight and both my 13mo AND my extremely fussy 4.5 yo lapped it up! My elder boy was complaining that he didn't like chilli, that it was to spicy, that he wasn't going to eat it; then he tasted it and he admitted he loved it! I'll definitely be making this one again :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015