Friday, February 17

RECIPE: Shortcut slow cooker tuna pasta casserole !



Hello!

As you might have guessed I've been rather time-poor recently.  My big project I've been working on has gone live - but before that one ended, I've started another 2 phases of the project and preparing another!  It's caaarazy.   So these days on the rare days I do get to cook I find myself wanting to spend time with the frills and basically, sleeping!

This one's super cheaty.  It's not something you'd want to eat every day but it's a firm favourite with kids and I love it for the comfort-food factor.  The added bonus is it only has a few ingredients and takes about 10 minutes to prepare.  And there's leftovers - feeds us two meals!  And the biggest bonus for me is my biggest Frill Miss Eloise can make it with me.

Ingredients
1 tin cream of mushroom soup
300mls cream or evaporated milk
2 large tins of tuna, with brine (don't drain)
2 cups uncooked macaroni
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn (you can use whatever you like, mixed veges if you like!)
3 shallots or spring onions, chopped
1 cup shredded/grated cheese
1 tsp ground pepper

Method:
One by one  add all the ingredients to your slowcooker...albeit the cheese.

Remember if you want to use evaporated milk instead of cream, that's a lower fat option..

Eloise loves to cook with Mummy.  I miss my frills!


If you're in a bit of a hurry, pre-cook your macaroni for 5 minutes - this will cut down the cooking time in the slow cooker to 1 hour on high.

I love white and black pepper, but you can add other herbs like parsley or chives also if you like!

Cook on low for 5 hours or medium-high for 3 hours.  About 30 minutes before serving, stir in the cheese.

Delicious!  And so simple, great for a lazy or busy day!

Print this post in friendly format

2 lovely comments:

Becci on February 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

That looks so yummy and reminds me of my childhood (Mum would let me stay home when I was sort-of sick and make me tuna mornay). Nice to see you again!

Anonymous said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Awesome! Thanks, this is just what I was looking for. I was thinking of trying this with some ingredients different but wasn't sure about it. Now I have my idea confirmed I will go ahead with some confidence. I will be using some cheddar cheese soup in mine. :)


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015