Friday, April 10

Baking Sensation...


Hot cross buns success! (Pic of before they went in the oven on the right) Not only fun to make at 7am with the kids, and not as much mess as I anticipated, my tip to you is get all the dry ingredients assembled in one bowl and the wet in another and the peel/currants in another... that way it's just put it together and the kids don't get bored and feel like they're making them if that makes sense?

I used Luke Mangan's recipe, and in case the recipe disappears from the internet, I'm going to put it down here because I don't want to lose it, it's fab! I also made a few small changes and doubled the mixture which I think is a good quantity - 12 - 6 to eat straight away and 6 for the freezer/fridge.

Hot Cross Buns
Ingredients: (makes one dozen)
600g plain flour
2 teaspoons dry yeast
60g brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons mixed spice
Pinch of ground cardamom and ground coriander
2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs
250ml milk (luke warm)
2 tablespoons orange marmalade (chopped)
40gr unsalted butter (softened)
250g sultanas/raisins/currants
30g mixed peel
For the cross - mix flour, icing sugar and water into a paste (no measurements for this, just go by how it looks). I stored in small ziplock bag and cut the corner off to apply the cross.

Method
1) Mix flours, yeast, sugar, spices, and salt into a large bowl.
2) Whisk egg, milk and marmalade together and pour into (1) to form a sticky dough. Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes until elastic.Add softened butter and knead for a further 5 minutes until smooth.
3) Fold in fruit and peel and knead for further 3 minutes.
4) Fold into loaf type form and divide into 12. Form each twelfth into a ball and then flatten on greased tray 2cm apart.. Cover loosely with cling wrap and let dough rise in a warm place for 2hr until doubled in size (check with finger test).
5) Pipe crosses on buns and bake for 15-20 mins. turn out on wire rack.
6) Apply glaze


Glaze: 1/2 cup caster sugar and 1/4 cup water, bring to boil until a clear syrup, paint on buns whilst hot.

Don't they look gorgeous? (finished product on the right) They SMELL and TASTE divine! My hubby a very fussy Hot Cross Bun consumer was skeptical, but agrees, these are better than any of the store-bought ones.

Print this post in friendly format

4 lovely comments:

Chantelle {fat mum slim} on April 11, 2009 at 6:06 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

Better than store bought? Really?

I'm on a no carb diet from today... but hopefully next Easter I'm a size 8 (ha so laughable) and eating everything in front of me and still staying that size 8.

You're the best Mama Liss. You have such lucky girls. xx

Lin on March 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

These are definitely on my list to try! They look delish! I made your swedish meatballs on Saturday night and they were a big hit - and cheap!

Mim said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I cooked these & they were yummy, but I had to guess the oven temp ... do you normally bake these at 180 or 200 degrees C?

Unknown on March 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM said... [Reply to this amazing comment]

I'm looking forward to baking some hot cross buns the week before Easter.

I think mixed peel is a definite add-in! Not so sure about chocolate but I'm sure my 4yo daughter would beg to differ.

Thanks for sharing!

Di


 

Frills in the Hills Copyright © 2009-2015